Friday, June 24, 2011

Golf at Coober Pedy

Hello, Geoff here signing on for my first post!..... well i couldn't have Manda writing about my golfing adventures now could I.

 So as previously described in Manda's last blog entry, we didn't think much of Coober Pedy, but at least it had a golf course! But unfortunately this is not a tale of rare or spectacular golfing feats, but more of novelty. It had been a while since I had had a hit so I was keen. After a bit of question asking around town I was told I would have to go and pay my fee at an old mine museum. If ever there was a town where you should really make sure that your fee was paid I was fast getting the impression that this was the town, there were way too may holes around this place that could easily 'swallow me up', if you know what i mean.
Anyway I paid my fee and the old bloke sent me on my way with a visitors pack. In it I got 3 ball, 3 tees, a scorecard, a piece of paper with rules and a piece of grass. not bad for $10!

So here is the golf course. This is the view from the clubhouse. I know the photo is pretty poor, but if you can zoom in you will see black circles which are the 'greens', and lots of dirt, weed and more dirt.

So the rules were pretty standard but the main thing they were trying to get across to the novice visitor was that if your ball hit the 'fairway' then you were allowed to place your ball on your grass mat. Bonus! Luckily on the 3rd hole i hit the fairway. Yay. The excitement was incredible.

Here are some photos of the 'greens' which were sand soaked in sump oil i presumed.

Oh yeah the crazy thing was the 'rough', if you missed the fairway you could be anywhere; a dry creek bed, clumps of weeds, in the rocks.....really wild.

So that was my afternoon at golf. For those in the know i scored 51 which is average. But the memory of this place will live on. If you ever pass through Coober seedy give it a go, but bring your own clubs as its $20 for club hire! twice as much as the game!! But on 2nd thoughts this may be the better option, as i reckon maybe more than $20 damage was done to my clubs bashing the ball out of rocks and all.
Well i must be off, Manda just found out i paid $38 for a 6pack of Carlton dry.... 
got some patching up to do :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment