Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Alice Springs to the Gulf of Carpentaria

ALICE SPRINGS

According to us, Alice Springs gets the 'Craziest Town' award for Australia. I guess any town smack bang in the middle of nowhere, is bound to be slightly crazy. Much of the craziness can sadly be attributed to the large population of out-of-control Aboriginals. Whilst there, I met a nice security guard named Rachel at Coles who was HUGE. She said the Aboriginals don't bother her or her brother because of their size. But they are a problem especially for tourists who often get bashed for money. I also learnt from her that ALL the public toilets in town are locked and you need anywhere between 50 cents to $10 for a deposit for a key. Once again the problem lies with our Aboriginal friends. Too bad I had NO cash and was totally busting!! So with smoke still in our eyes from all the fires, and 1650kms between us and our next destination, we treated ourselves to some comfort food before leaving civilisation...


ON THE ROAD 
We looked at our beloved map of Australia and decided to head North-East to Karumba in the gulf of Carpentaria (QLD). Why? Fishing of course! Our first stop was a roadside stop. This time, we were smart enough to wear earplugs to dampen the noise of traffic roaring past. 

Geoff was also quite proud of where his golf ball landed - thankfully no cars! 

Back on the road again to make a mile...

Cheeky aliens!

The devils Marbles

Most dingos we had seen were really evasive. This one at the Marbles didn't seem to mind tourists too much...

Two words: "BULL BAR"

Another night camping on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Boring. Boring. Boring.


LAWN HILL NATIONAL PARK
Yay for warmer weather! Boo for what comes with it!

Being the totally organised, knowing-where-we-are-going couple that we are, we pulled into a campsite on the beautiful Gregory River in Lawn Hill National Park. Turns out, you needed to pre-book one of the 6 sites available via phone or internet. With no phone service that can be quite a challenge. But our Tour Guide, (the almighty creator of this beautiful country), already had it sorted out. We stopped to talk to another camper and it just so turns out, they had an extra site booked for friends that didn't show up and gave us their camping permit. After setting up we found a nice little waterhole to take a bath.

The next morning, I was feeling terrible and there was no way I could travel. But our Tour Guide, once again sorted us out. As a camper left that morning (different group to before), they gave us another camping permit for that night that they didn't need. Praise God, we didn't have to travel! 

The following day, I was again feeling terrible and couldn't travel. We had to stay another night and prayed God would work it out as we had no permit. Praise God though, no-one showed up that night which is incredible as the last 2 nights it had been booked out and full. 

Thankfully the NEXT day, I was feeling better so we continued on our journey. We stopped at some fossil place, and below is a cross-section of a turtle fossil?!

As we returned to our car, we met Greg and Claire who unfortunately had a very flat tyre. It was Geoff to the rescue again! They were so appreciative, they gave Geoff a bottle of cleanskin Red. 

We had heard through the grapevine at our last camp, that the best place to stay in Lawn Hill National Park was the Gorge. We decided just to drive in there just for a look, knowing it was fully booked out. Turns out our Tour Guide had better plans. We chatted to some campers we had previously met and they had a spare camping permit for 2 nights and once again gave them to us!! WOO HOO. 

In the middle of the bush, is the gorge with a stunning green river lined with palms (and only 40m walk from our campsite). We hired some tyres, and relaxed all afternoon on the river. I was a bit nervous knowing there were freshwater crocs, even though they are not interested in humans (apparently!).

The next day we hired a canoe and paddled up the gorge.

We came up to an area with waterfalls that was SO stunning it looked fake - like a movie set. Our photos don't do it justice at all!!

As we were sitting on the jetty, absorbing Gods amazing creation, some grey nomads caught our attention. We hadn't been paying them much attention as they slowly dressed in their dry clothes and shoes after a swim. As they attempted to get back into their canoe, it didn't go according to plan. It was the funniest, slow-motion, awkward attempt we have ever seen. Needless to say, they both ended up in the water fully clothed, canoe upturned. Once again, it was Geoff to the rescue as I bit down on the insides of my cheeks to stop from laughing.

I decided to generously share some of my burger rings with the fish below the jetty. There were SO many, mainly sooty grunters and archerfish. As I was watching them, suddenly a spray of water shot up 1m in the air right into my eye! Turns out archerfish do that - but I didn't know. They emit a burst of water at flying insects to knock them down onto the water to eat. This archerfish must have had eyes bigger than his stomach!

Back at camp, there were no hot showers. This was my motivation for going for a swim, even though I desperately didn't want to get in. As I was standing in the water on a rock willing myself to jump in, I was suddenly faced with my worst nightmare!
A snake was swimming towards me and was only a foot away from my leg! I jumped out as quick as I could but pretty sure he swam right through my legs. Geoff didn't believe my brush with near death, knowing my intense fear of snakes. But sure enough, he saw it for himself. A python. I didn't end up going for a swim. 

The next day, it was back on the road again.

We stopped for lunch at the lush Gregory River (same river as before but further North). After lunch, we both jumped in for a swim knowing its probably the last swim we'll have for a long time as we head into croc country.


NORMANTON

The largest Croc ever caught. It is really hard to believe. "Surely not" Geoff repeated...


KARUMBA
When I saw this sign at the entrance to our caravan park in Karumba yesterday, 
I knew I had found home...

As Geoff took the boat off the roof racks, he found an unfortunate casualty from the trip... RIP little bird.

Whilst I was chatting on the phone, 'someone' decided to shorten the length of our lights board for the boat trailer. 'Someone' may have sawed right through 8 wires!!

'Someone' fixing his boo boo...
(To his credit, it all works again).

Geoff wanted this photo included as it was THE BEST fish he had eva had 
(from local Karumba fish n chip shop)...

Yes. I think I like Karumba.

So after catching up on some washing, shopping and sorting, we are now keen to do some fishing here. Armed only with a rough mud map from a local, we will tackle the high seas and croc invested waters of the rivers in search of the 'big one' ......

2 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness that Bread Loaf photo is the funnest thing ever. I laughed for a good 10mins seeing that. ..still laughing actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In water we don't know what will happen. so take precaution with Ear Plugs for Swimming

    ReplyDelete