Friday, September 24, 2010

DAY 93 - 97 (Cairns again)

DAY 97 - Fri 24 Sept
  • At 2.30AM this morning, I awoke to a strange noise outside the van. Initially I thought it sounded like an animal attacking the screen door. However, I looked out the windows and couldn't see anything. I woke up Geoff. As I moved towards the back of the van, it sounded like someone was trying to saw the bikes off the bike rack!! I placed my hand on the back wall of the van and definitely felt some movement... With my loudest, angriest voice I yelled out the bathroom window "OUI!!"... Geoff, who was still trying to wake up, started getting cranky with me for possibly yelling at our caravan neighbours... Just then, much to Geoff's, and my surprise, an Aboriginal man wearing a bike helmet walks past. Once again, I'm at the window this time yelling "GET OUT OF HERE!". To this he replied a mumbled "sorry" before casually strolling away! In the morning we checked the bike rack...
  • He had tried multiple times to saw through our bike lock but only managed to saw through the plastic, not the wire. Do you remember when we had to saw our bikes off because our old bike lock had seized up? Well, we were SO grateful and praise God that that had happened as we ended up putting on a stronger motorbike lock that came with our generator instead. I think that saved our bikes!! We have no doubt God has his hand upon us and led us to change to a stronger lock just for this night.  
  • We considered packing up and leaving this caravan park as its obviously not very secure and in a dodgy area, but just didn't feel peace about leaving. So tonight, I've just noticed Geoff has placed the boondy stick near the van door...
  • We plan to hang around Cairns until Monday to see if we get any nibbles on the van sale... from there, totally not sure!


DAY 96 - Thurs 23 Sept
  • OK, so brace yourselves here... We have put the Caravan FOR SALE on the internet! I think I know what you may be thinking right about now, something like this, "WOW, Geoff must be a really smooth talker for Manda to agree to this". But no, we did the ol' pro's and con's list and it just makes sense to change to a camper trailer. We both love the luxury of the van but feel we are living like 60 year olds. We are currently surrounded by grey nomads and probably will continue to be if we continue in this van. Not that we have anything against them, but we would like to met some younger people too. Also our highlights of our trip thus far have definitely been in the tent when we have gone off-road and left the van in storage. We don't want to be limited in where we go because of the van... So we are praying for, and believing for a quick sale. Will shall wait and see what God does...


DAY 95 - Weds 22 Sept
  • This morning we looked at a Kimberly Camper here in Cairns. Otherwise, still just chilling not doing much.


DAY 94 - Tues 21 Sept
  • Not much to report really. Manda was totally wiped from sitting in the sun all day yesterday and Geoff spent most of his time drooling over camper trailers.







DAY 93 - Mon 20 Sept

  • 10am today we were back at the Davis Cup although the rain held off play until around 11.30am. Australia were playing Belgium for a spot in the 2011 World Group. In the first match, Peter Lucak played instead of Lleyton Hewitt as he was injured. It went for 4.5 hours!! The second match was played by Caston Ball and went for 2.5 hours. I can tell you that it is a VERY LONG time to be sitting in the Cairns heat! To be honest, I hated every minute of it and in the end I was barracking for Belgium as I figured if they won it would end faster! In contrast, Geoff loved every minute of it especially when we moved seats for the second match and sat right down the front behind the players. Sitting there I was a little concerned I might end up with a tennis ball up my snoz but was relieved the TV camera's had all packed up so at least it wouldn't be televised nationally.... Photo below was from the night before - sitting in the rain waiting for it to stop - it didn't...
Peter Lucak serving...
 Another rain delay...
 Is that Uncle Rob at the tennis??
 At some point during the long, boring, way too hot to watch match...
 Peter Lucak...
 Lleyton Hewitt offering a few "COME ON'S"... looks like he's about to swallow the ball!
 Belgium won! WHOO HOO... I can go home now



No comments:

Post a Comment